Monday, November 21, 2011

Vermicilly Upma..

I had a carvings for vermicilly upma for a very long time... But at times laziness controls me for a longer duration. Now that I had started blogging, I had to prepare it, atleast to post it here... Should show my skills right..

Much before, I learnt the art of making good vermicilly upma, had made it lot many times, but it was a big failure. The vermicilly would turn out to be a paste and I hated it.

Few months back, when I was in Mysore, I told my mom about this and guess what, she being an expert, prepared it the next day. (Not sure whether she prepared it to teach me or wanted to show offff). This is one the very few recipes, my mom taught me and I just duplicate it, to make the best vermicilly upma...

I use Bambino vermicilly. You'll can use which ever brand is available.

Take a basin and bring water to boil. Add little oil and pour the vermicilly onto it. Spread across the vermicilly and keep checking if its cooked. You should be able to make a paste of vermicilly, with your 2 fingers. This is a sign that its cooked. Strain it out immediately and pour the cooked vermicilly into cold water and spread it across again. Leave it for 5mins and you will see that they are not sticking to each other. Now strain it from cold water and keep the vermicilly in the strainer itself so that the remaining water is removed.

Note: The vermicilly should not be in the strainer for more than 10mins.

Meanwhile, we can start preparing the palya to mix with the vermicilly.

Take a kadai, add 3 tbsn oil. Allow it to be warm. Now add 1 tspn mustard, allow it to splutter, now add 2 tspn of Kadile balle, 2 tspn of uddina balle, 1 tbpn of groundnut and mix well. Kadile balle and uddina balle with turn light orange and groundnut will start to crackle. This is the sign of them cooked.

Now add a pinch of turmuric, add the 2 md sliced onions and 6 - 7 pudina leaves. They both should be cooked together, so that they have each's flavour in them. Add 1 md cup capsicum, 1 md grated carrot, 1 md potato (half baked should be added). Cook all of these in low flame. Sprinkle little salt so that they cook faster. Add 3 -4 curry leaves, 2 -3 chopped chillies and mix it well. Add hing too. Add dhaniya and chilly powder and mix it well. Check if the vegetables are cooked. Now slowly add the vermicilly and mix them with the palya. If you want, squeeze lemon juice. Garnish generously with corriander.

Note: Mixing the vermicilly faster can become a paste.

It's best tasted with a topping of curd on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment