Monday, November 28, 2011

Beets or Beats........

I was seeing Beetroot after a long time. Once upon a time, this was my favorite vegetable. I used to enjoy eating it's palya with curd rice. Don't know how I got disconnected from it.

Nevertheless, thanks to my vegetable vendor, who told me that, he has not seen me buying this vegetable from him. I immediately picked it up. I picked up 1/2 kg fresh and juicy beets for my palya today.
As you all know, I have my own way of preparing it and this is how I made it.

Peel the skin of the beet and grate it. Yes grate them. 

Take a non stick kadai. Add 3 tbsn of oil, once it's warm, add 1 tspn mustard, allow it to splutter. Add a pinch of turmuric & hing. Now add the grated beets and saute it. Sprinkle it with salt and mix it. Cover it with a lid, so that it cooks faster. I had a small bowl of green sprouted peas left, so I added it to this paly.

Keep checking often to see if its cooked. The raw flavor of the beets and the peas should have gone. Now it's time to add, 4-5 curry leaves, little more salt, if required. Chopped 2-3 chillies. Mix it well with the beets.

Squeeze 1lemon to the palya and before serving garnish it with corriander. The beet taste gets mixed with the lemon and it gives a tangy taste, which goes excellent with the chapathi.

No comments:

Post a Comment