Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dosa Dough se varieties...

My mom makes excellent dosas' and after getting married I really miss eating them.  I can definitely make an attempt to prepare like the way she does and the effort did not go in vain.

My hubby likes paddu (gundapongal) and I knew that it can be prepared using dosa dough. So, the next day's breakfast was also taken care.

When I called my mom, asking for the ratio in adding the ingredients to prepare the dosa dough, I did mention to her that the dough should be sufficient for 3 days for 2 ppl.

1st day.. masala dosa or plain dosa
2nd day...paddu
3rd day..onion dosa.

Don't worry, they will not become sour.

Proportion using the same cup:
4 cups rice
3/4 cup urad dal
1 tbspn kadale bele (md sized onion can also be added)
1/2 tspn methi/ fenugreek seeds
1 cup avalakki/poha


Wash, mix and soak them in the morning. Soak for a min of 8 to 10 hrs. Drain the excess water and grind them with less water. Ensure we have a thick and soft batter.

Note: The above ingredients are basic. We can also add, left over rice and also green pumpkin pulp while grinding. 

I usually dont add salt, because the batter becomes sour for the 2nd and 3rd day use. Urad dal, helps in fermenting the batter naturally. Next day, mix the batter throughly, preferably with our hand.

I take small portions of the batter each time and add required salt to prepare dosas or paddus.

For paddu, we can also add the below ingredients to the batter:

1 md sized onion chopped,
2 chillies chopped,
2-3 strands coriander chopped
1/4 bunch of sapsige soppu (optional)

Mix them throughly and place in paddu kadai and cook.

The same paddu batter can be used to prepare onion dosas, provided we add 1/4 cup chirotti rava and mix it well for soft and crispy onion dosa.

I usually prepare coconut or pudina chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment