Saturday, August 25, 2012

CCCCC kumbalakayi hase kuuutuuuuu

This time when I went to buy vegetables and fruits, I got my hands on the fresh little sweet pumpkin and it's also know as ccc kumbalakayi in kannada.

I really did not know what to cook with this veggie, but decided whatever strikes my mind the next morning will definitely cook it.

Hasi kuutu is usually prepared with beans (huralikayi) or with chayote squash (seeme badanekayi), but as I always do, experimented with this pumpkin.

So started by first pressure cooking 1 small cup of toordal (togaribale) and 1 md tomato. Smash the tomato and the dal.

Meanwhile, clean the seeds and cut the pumpkin into small pieces. Half cook the pumpkin with water with little salt.

Grind the below mixture:

1/2 cup dhaniya
1 md cup dried red chillies (guntur and byadige in equal quantities)
1 tspn roasted til (yellu)
1 tspn jeera
1/2 cup grated coconut

Now add this grinded mixture to the pumpkin along with the toordal and tomato and bring it to boil. Add salt if required.

Give mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing vaggarne and mix it with the pumpkin hasee kuutu and enjoy eating with hot rice this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment