Tuesday, December 13, 2011

GG Phayasam..

I had 250gms of Gasa Gase on the last rack, of my kitchen shelf, and honestly I knew only 1 recipe, where this ingredient can be used extensively and it was payasam. This spice is also known as Poppey seeds or Khus Khus.

I had to convince myself to prepare payasam, because any additional dish on weekdays is a tough thing to accomodate. Guess what, I was preparing it for the 1st time, slightly nervous but confident. So I took all the God's name and said, they will be offered this payasam and you know, it will be the best. I had seen my mom preparing it, but implementing is what matters right. This is how I prepared it.

Take a medium bowl and soak 250gms of gasa gase overnight, if you want to prepare it for morning. Next day we will see gasa gase bloated, which is a good sign. Now soak equal quantities of badam, dry grapes, soft dates and cashewnuts along with gasa gase (in the same bowl). Add 5 elachies and 3 cloves for a good flavour, smell and taste. Leave them alone for the next 2 hrs.

Now boil the entire soaked stuff in low flame, ensure all the water is evaporated. Dont add extra water. Turn off heat and allow it to cool. Once it's cool, grind the entire mixture to a fine paste, without any water.

Take a non stick kadai.Generouly add 2tbspn of ghee and once it's melted, add the grinded mixture and mix it well with ghee. Add 1medium cube of jaggery into the mixture. Allow it to boil in low flame. 1st the ghee will come in the corners of the kadai and later it will get mixed with the mixture. Keep stiring frequenly till the jaggery is dissolved. We will notice the change in color, which signifies that payasam is done and also it should start boiling slowly. Turn of heat and keep it aside.

I kept my promise by offering God a small cup of payasam with milk.

The payasam tasted toooooooooooooo good and I appreciated myself and was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment